The Laboratory for Geomechanics has been formed in 1999 and until nowadays thousands of samples have been tested on its devices both for clients from the country and abroad. Among them are the companies, such as:
- Mining Basin Kolubara,
- TE-KO Kostolac,
- CRH Serbia, Popovac,
- Coal Mine Pljevlja,
- Mine and TPP Gacko,
- Mine and TPP Ugljevik,
- GEOTRON – Drilling Company, Netherlands,
- SHANDONG HI-SPEED GROUP CORPORATION LTD, PR of China, etc.
This laboratory has the state-of-the-art laboratory equipment for geomechanical testing on the territory of the former Yugoslavia and beyond.
All equipment has been certified and purchased from the most well-known European manufacturers, CONTROLS – Italy and ELE – England. The Laboratory for Geomechanics is located at the
Mining and Metallurgy Institute and occupies about 250 m2 of space. It is divided into two parts:
- Laboratory for Soil Mechanics,
- Laboratory for Rock Mechanics and “In-situ” Fieldwork.
LABORATORY FOR SOIL MECHANICS
This part of the Laboratory has equipment for soil testing:
- Hydrostatic scale,
- Direct and residual shear test device,
- Oedometer with front loading,
- Casagrand apparatus for determination the Atterberg’s limits,
- Triaxial soil testing device,
- Proctor testing hammer,
- CBR tester.
LABORATORY FOR ROCK MECHANICS
The Laboratory for Rock Mechanics is equipped with the following equipment:
- Hydraulic presses,
- Triaxial cells,
- Tools for shear angle testing,
- Rock shear apparatus (behavior of joints)
- Point load device,
- Beme abrasion testing device,
- Determination of resistance to fragmentation – Los Angeles machine.
In addition to the listed testing equipment in the laboratory conditions, it should be noted that the laboratory is also equipped with the in-situ testing devices.